Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Bo Sang Umbrella Village


POST #6
Kate and I had fallen into a rhythm for life in Chaing Mai, we went to work during the week (Kate : internship Me : Working on HexFlex stuff) We explored Chaing Mai on the afternoons and rented motorbikes for further excursions on the weekends.  We saw lots of cool things all around the outskirts of the city.
One afternoon, we headed out a to a village known for it’s umbrella making handicraft.  Bo Sang is world renown as it turns out, Princess Diana visited back in the 90s and they made a massive 22’ umbrella that is on display in the factory. 
They have a fullscale facility where the umbrellas are each handmade from start to finish. It’s very impressive.

The coolest part about this place was the artists that paint the umbrella patterns and scenes.  They will paint anything you want on anything you want.  I was getting offers to have my shorts customized. My  phone, My backpack.  In the end we bought a scroll and Kate described what she wanted and in about 2 minutes she had a freshly painted masterpiece!

I will upload the You Tube video of the painted scroll in the making when we get to better wifi.   Currently Luang Prabang isn’t the best for uploading large media.  My emails take minutes to download…









No comments:

Post a Comment